Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2016

SOME EXAMPLES OF HEALING SKILLS BEING USED SUCCESSFULLY

SOME EXAMPLES OF  HEALING SKILLS BEING USED SUCCESSFULLY

My Story:
I had breast cancer as a young woman. I looked up the mental cause in Louise Hay's book "Heal Your Body," and read  "Long held resentment caused by putting everyone else first. A refusal to nourish the self. Over-mothering. Over-protection. Over-bearing attitudes." I could really relate to the first two sentences.

  • I was a single mother to two small children;
  • I was the director of a 42 child day care center;
  • I had a 14 person staff to mother;
  • I was working 70 hour weeks on average;
  • I was on several social service boards.
  • I was chairperson of two of them.
  • I was on the Governor's advisory board to the Dept. of Human Services.
  • I was 1 member of a 3 person committee responsible for disbursing many millions of federal dollars to state social services. The rest of the committee and the governor rubber stamped our decisions.
  • Every month I had to read a  tall stack of thick proposals from non-profits and understand them.
  • I had a board of directors to keep apprised.

...And I was in total overwhelm. I was pouring myself out to many people and my mother was my only support. I'd visit her once a month and collapse for a weekend while she took care of the children. It was on one of my trips from Maine to Massachusetts and to her home that I discovered a lump in my breast.

I believe that another cause of the lump was a childhood belief that I had to take care of my parents.

In any case, while I was in touch with both sadness, and guilt (mistaken guilt over not doing enough for others) I was not particularly aware of anger. But in retrospect I know that some part of  me must have been very angry at "others." For I felt I had to do what I was doing. It was required...by God? by my fundamentalist sin-berating religion? by my culture that expected women to sacrifice themselves and serve others? All of the above likely. It was probably my healthy child-self who was angry. For it knew better. It knew I needed to put myself first. But my enculturated-self thought other-wise. My abused childself also had absorbed guilt from the person who was abusing me.

In any case, reading Louise Hay's mental cause hit me between the eyes like a bullet and penetrated my brain...blew apart long held limiting beliefs about myself and my duties to my self and others. I rapidly dropped most of the above activities and kept only my responsibilities towards my children, which were considerable just by themselves. And I added more fun for myself.

And boom!... the lump disappeared! It has never returned in the 43 years intervening. Nor did the cancer re-appear in another part of my body. I chose to not use any allopathic healing methods. It was totally done on the mental/emotional level.

_______________________________________________________________________________

 MORE TRUE-LIFE HEALING STORIES WILL BE POSTED SOON. 6/5/16
_______________________________________________________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment